The Different Types of CCTV Camera
With the number of CCTV cameras rapidly rising in the UK, you may be looking at getting them installed for your own home or business. However, there are a number of different types of CCTV cameras on the market and as such, it might be confusing knowing which one to choose.
- Dome Cameras
- Bullet Cameras
- Day/Night Cameras
- PTZ Cameras (Pan/Tilt/Zoom)
- Thermal Cameras
Dome CCTV Cameras
A dome camera is an optical device used to record events that occur outside of its field of view. It consists of a lens and a protective cover that can be rotated 360 degrees around the lens. This allows it to see all directions either simultaneously or individually depending on the type of dome camera.
Benefits of a Dome CCTV Camera
- Wide Viewing Angle – A dome camera has a wider viewing angle than other types of cameras due to its spherical shape.
- High-Quality Images – These cameras provide better picture quality because they often use CCD (Charge Coupled Device) technology.
- Easy Installation – Dome cameras are easy to install as they do not require any specialist tools.
Dome Camera Advantages
Dome cameras come in various sizes and shapes. Some are designed to fit over windows, while others attach to walls or ceilings. The main benefit of these cameras is their ability to capture clear images even under low light conditions.
Bullet CCTV Cameras
Bullet cameras are becoming increasingly popular due to their affordability and ease of installation. They are also very useful for security purposes.
Bullet cameras are compact, battery-operated video surveillance devices that can be mounted on walls or ceilings. They are ideal for covert surveillance applications because they don’t require a direct line of sight.
Benefits of Bullet Cameras
- Bullet cameras are affordable and easy to install. They are also versatile and can be used indoors or outdoors. Bullet cameras are great for monitoring areas such as parking lots, garages, warehouses, and other places where you want to monitor movement.
- They are small enough to fit in almost any space and can be easily concealed with no visible mounting holes. You can mount them anywhere without having to worry about electrical wiring or obstructions.
- The camera is powered by batteries that last up to two years. The camera has an adjustable zoom lens so it can be adjusted depending on your needs. It can be set to record at 30 fps (frames per second) or 60 fps.
- Wireless remote control allows you to view live footage from another location. This makes it easier to keep track of what’s going on when you’re away from the scene.
- You can use the built-in microphone to listen in on conversations nearby.
Day/Night CCTV Cameras
A day/night camera is a CCTV camera that operates both during the day and works fine in the dark, at night. This type of security camera can be used to monitor areas where there may not be any natural light for the entire 24 hours. It could be used as an additional safety precaution or to supplement other types of security systems.
Common applications for day/night cameras are parking garages, or areas that are partially indoor and outdoor where the lighting will often fluctuate throughout the day due to the weather. Additionally, day/night cameras often come with features such as motion detection, sound activation or remote viewing.
PTZ Cameras (Pan/Tilt/Zoom)
PTZ CCTV Cameras stands for Pan Tilt Zoom. They allow you to control the camera with a remote so that you can zoom in and out of your property or area. This is great if you have an open plan living space where you want to be able to see what’s happening, or if you have multiple cameras covering a large area.
The best part about these types of cameras is that they are very affordable, making them perfect for smaller businesses that may not need to invest in a high-end system. These systems are also easy to use and install, which makes it simple for anyone to set one up.
Thermal CCTV Cameras
Thermal CCTVs are commonly used in retail stores and warehouses to monitor temperature levels. They are also used in manufacturing plants to ensure that temperatures remain within safe limits.
Thermal CCTVs provide real-time monitoring of temperature levels in areas such as food processing facilities, pharmaceutical factories, and other industrial settings, but are commonly used in security settings to track heat signatures of people. The camera uses a thermopile sensor that converts heat into electrical energy and sends an image via wireless technology.
The main advantage of Thermal CCTV Cameras over traditional video surveillance is their ability to capture images even when there is no light present. This makes it suitable for use in places where lighting may be problematic or not available at all. Another advantage is that they are very cost-effective because they do not require any kind of wiring or maintenance.
There are many different types of thermal imaging cameras on the market but one of the most popular ones is the FLIR E4 thermal imager. It is ideal for indoor applications and can be connected directly to your computer so you can view live footage from anywhere with internet access.
Reasons to Install CCTV
There are many different reasons why you may want to install CCTV cameras around your home or business:
- You’re looking for an easy way to monitor your home or office without having to install expensive network cams.
- You need to protect valuable equipment from theft by placing them inside the room.
- You want to monitor areas where it would be difficult to mount traditional cameras.
- You want to keep an eye on the kids when they’re playing outside without having to worry about getting too close.
- You want to monitor the activities of people who live with you.
- You want to monitor your pets when they’re out of sight.
- You want to keep track of what happens in the house when you’re away.
- You want to monitor visitors at your business.
- You want to ensure that no one enters or leaves your property without permission.
- You want to monitor employees during working hours.
- You want to make sure that your children are safe when they’re not home.
- You want to keep tabs on your home while you’re away on vacation.
- You want to monitor certain rooms at all times.
- You want to make certain that you don’t miss anything important.
- You want to create a private area within your home or office that only authorized personnel have access to.
- You want to prevent unauthorized entry into your premises.
- You want to monitor any activity taking place in your car.
- You want to monitor people entering and leaving your premises.
- You want to keep watch over your pet while he/she is sleeping.
- You want to monitor movement at night.
- You want to monitor activity in your backyard.
- You want to monitor traffic coming and going from your driveway.
- You want to monitor parking lots.
If you are looking for CCTV Cameras, whether it be for your home or your business, contact Forrest Security for more information. We are experts at installing a range of different CCTV cameras and are more than happy to provide advice and information.